Job Title: Lead Engineer
Reporting to: Maintenance Manager
Location: Brimsdown, Middlesex and Royston, Hertfordshire
Start Date: ASAP
Our Client is a speciality chemicals company and a leader in sustainable technologies. They have their operations in around 30 countries with more than £3 Billion in sales excluding precious metals with revenue in excess of £ 10000 Million and circa 13000 employees worldwide.
Their division of Refining and Chemicals, Europe (R&CE) business has two key sites in the UK, one in Brimsdown, Middlesex and the other in Royston, Hertfordshire. Employing over 560 people, the refining side of the business concentrates on refining precious metals for utilisation by other internal businesses and external customers. The chemical products side is a leading manufacturer of Platinum Group Metal (PGM) and minor metal compounds, organometallics and fine metal powders for high technology applications, ranging from catalysis to advanced coating applications.
To ensure that our operational needs and objectives can be met through the provision of engineering technical expertise to the maintenance teams and the operation. Through management of a team of engineering technical resource, provide a level of mechanical, electrical, control escalation for the maintenance technician teams. Deliver changes to our equipment and processes including controls and automation through the administration of our management of change procedure. Through the use of problem solving tools, provide support to improvements in equipment reliability.
EHS, Quality & Security
- Proactively promote a positive Health & Safety culture and ensure adherence to company policies (including HR/EHS/Security).
- Support an overall improvement in EHS performance by utilising the Airsweb reporting system to highlight and implement improvements to our current processes or equipment.
- Ensure contractors are properly managed and that they conform to all the company's HR/EHS/Security policies and procedures.
- Support the adherence to all relevant legislation and process safety policies.
- Ensure that a process of escalation is in place to provide engineering technical support to the maintenance teams covering mechanical, controls and reliability functions.
- To deliver plant modifications in accordance with our management of change procedure to include changes to equipment, functional settings and parameters equipment and automation.
- To support our continuous improvement program through delivery of improvements in equipment availability, utilizing established problem solving tools including root cause analysis.
- To support the overall engineering strategy working closely with counterparts.
- To provide technical input into our capital projects and be a point of contact.
- To provide support to the development and continual review of engineering standards and procedures.
- Manage a team of technical expertise ensuring work prioritization and level of expertise is maintained so that operational needs are met and maintenance teams supported.
- Ensure all safe systems of work are complied with by team at all times and that effective checks are in place to ensure adherence.
- Monitor, review and address personnel under performance, capability and sickness, maintaining appropriate records in accordance with company procedures.
PEOPLE & CONTRACTORS
- Implement, monitor and review training and development plans to support learning and development of the team.
- Ensure regular performance reviews take place in accordance with company appraisal system and that team members have plans in place to address development needs.
- Provide leadership to ensure a positive attitude towards team member contribution of improvement activities.
- Contribute towards the development of PPM plans for site equipment.
- Support LEAN implementation in the department to deliver metal and cost improvements in accordance with Manufacturing Excellence requirements.
- Co-ordinate and participate in activities such as 5S, CES, Root Cause Problem Solving and Standard Work.
- 4 direct reports.
- Regular management of contractors.
- Liaising with the maintenance team leaders on a regular basis to request resource.
- Occasional co-ordination of Company's maintenance team members.
You may be required to occasionally travel to other company or key supplier sites.
The role is primarily office based however you will be expected to visit operational parts of the plant on a reasonably frequent basis.
ARE YOU THE IDEAL CANDIDATE?
- Experience of successfully leading a team in a maintenance environment is essential,with a formal qualification in Engineering such as Degree/HNC or equivalent recognised training.
- Extensive knowledge of engineering skills and maintenance.
- Exposure to a lean approach to manufacturing, including problem solving tools such as root cause analysis.
- Competence in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal and good organisational ability of others.
- Understanding of the requirements of ISO 9001, 14001, 18001 systems.
- Ability to analyse and interpret data.
- Safety & environmentally focused.
- Customer and performance focused.
- Positive can do attitude.
- Team player.
- Flexible approach to working to include occasional out-of-hours cover.
Ref: 13109 | Published: 16th Nov 2016