General Manager (Ex-Military Only)
Location: South West London
Salary: £55,000 - £60,000
Start date: ASAP
Our Client is a responsible modern organisation, with best practice a fundamental part of their DNA. Our client is ever conscious of the need for balance: superlative client service with sustainability; management excellence with staff motivation; financial prudence with a permanent programme of growth and improvement.
Our Client focuses on delivering outstanding management to their clients and lessees. They are constantly developing initiatives to ensure that their day to day management is as effective as possible, which supports them in their plans to become the leading residential management property company across the UK market.
Key services and strategies within our client's firm include:
- Their innovative approach to management and customer service,
- Their dedication to corporate social responsibility
- Their investment in their staff
Purpose and Aim of the Role:
The purpose of the General Manager is to manage the development and its employees, overseeing the day-to-day operations, ensuring that all services and activities are carried out efficiently, meeting the standards and requirements of the company.
- Manage, support and develop onsite employees, leading by example to set standards of quality customer service for the development, its residents and guests. Motivating employees to strive for and achieve success for the company.
- Develop employees, fostering an environment of learning, continuous improvement and maximisation of performance.
- Develop and maintain constructive working relationships with peers, employees, residents and guests, working collaboratively to achieve overall business outcomes.
- Take personal responsibility for understanding and following the company's Health & Safety policies and practices, taking part in companywide Health & Safety initiatives and meetings, leading employees to uphold and adhere to the same values and actions by demonstrating personal engagement with safety, to continuously improve safety performance.
Role Specific Accountabilities
- Manage onsite staff on behalf of the Property Manager, overseeing the day-to-day matters of the development, ensuring that high standards of quality customer service are maintained for residents and guests, and that all matters are handled in a prompt and professional manner.
- Manage petty cash accounts for the site, ensuring that records and documentation are up to date.
- Assist the Property Manager in any budgeting or reporting requirements for the development.
- Ensure Health & Safety regulations are adhered to and the required health and safety inspections and activities to assist in keeping the development and workplace a safe environment for all.
Required Experience and Technical Competency
- Relevant IRPM qualifications, or willingness and ability to obtain within first year of employment.
- Experience in a supervisory or managerial role in a high end customer service establishment.
- Some experience in project management and the ability to deliver within required time scales.
- Knowledge of relevant Landlord and Tenant Act, RICS and ARMA guidelines, regulations and procedures.
- Practical application and working knowledge of Health & Safety requirements and legislation.
- Demonstrated experience understanding, interpreting and preparing complex reports and plans (e.g. financial reports, budgeting, works scheduling, workload allocation, performance planning).
- Proven ability to handle confidential information and provide advice on sensitive matters in a professional manner.
- Working knowledge in building maintenance systems.
Key Behavioural Competencies
- Influencing and Negotiating: To persuade key internal or external stakeholders to buy-in to the objectives and needs of the organisation, steering all negotiations in a positive direction to come to mutually agreeable outcomes for all.
- Communicating and Presenting: To demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills and have excellent ability to deliver presentations to key stakeholders, handle conflict situations, and build positive working relationships to benefit the company.
- Team Working and Collaborating: To identify what motivates different individuals and makes effort to recognise and praise team members for good work to strengthen team performance, even after setbacks.
- Customer Focus: To show empathy and sensitivity whilst encountering difficult situations and exchanges, maintaining honesty and integrity in dealing with delicate and confidential issues.
- Planning and Organising: To be flexible and adaptable and drawing contingency plans where possible to meet delivery.
- Achievement Focus: To drive self and others to work towards excellence, setting new goals and pushing for high standards.
- Continuous Improvement: To identify and drive others to realise required action(s), new ideas, and areas of improvements that can contribute to the business in a positive way or improve personal performance. Supporting employees and encouraging them to take a positive approach to change in an ever evolving environment.
- To promote sustainability initiatives as directed by the company.
The above is a high-level summary of accountabilities and is not meant to be a comprehensive description of the role. Additional ad-hoc responsibilities will arise which will be considered to form a reasonable part of the role and role requirements may be subject to change from time to time.
The General Manager should have the following experiences and qualifications:
- Qualification to A Level or higher.
- Health & Safety Qualification, e.g.
- NEBOSH, IOSH.
- IRPM level 1 or 2.
- Good working knowledge of building maintenance systems.
- Good working knowledge of Health and Safety requirements and legislation.
- SIA Licence
- Knowledge of anti-discrimination & equal opportunity legislation.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Willingness to undertake further training as required.
- Significant working experience in a high end customer service establishment
- Overseeing additional life style management services.
- Dealing with the general public in sensitive situations.
- Practical application of H&S in the work place.
- Proven track record of dealing with contractors.
- Proven track record of successfully handling complaints.
- Significant experience in managing / supervising staff.
- Demonstrable experience of residential block management.
- New build or opening of a development / operation.
- Held a position as a Concierge within a 5 star hotel.
- Ability to manage own time and multiple tasks effectively, working autonomously and using own initiative.
- Competently manage staff members time and have the ability to motivate and inspire others. Commitment to teamwork and ability to function as part of a team.
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, and to understand and produce materials of a professional nature in line with required deadlines.
- Ability to form positive relationships with and between residents, the client (Heron International), staff, contractors and representatives of outside agencies.
- Able to maintain objectivity when dealing with residents and to maintain a courteous and professional attitude in stressful situations
- Excellent knowledge & understanding of I.T. including email and Microsoft Office Suite (Word and Excel)
Ref: 13097 | Published: 06th Sep 2016