|Job Title||Commercial Manager|
|Contract Type||Permanent full-time|
|Job Published||19 days ago|
The Commercial Manager’s main roles include the financial management of projects, negotiating and agreeing contracts and verifying employee performance. They also need to have good risk management skills as well as financial reporting abilities. The Commercial Manager is required to ensure that all commercial aspects of the projects under their remit are properly managed and controlled, and that commercial strategy is developed and delivered in accordance with the requirements of the business.
Management of Commercial Team
• Carry out reviews of Commercial team
• Provide assistance, support and guidance on all commercial issues within the projects and ensure that commercial staff attain their maximum potential
• Develop and expand the commercial knowledge of the Commercial team
• Review all commercial procedures to deliver maximum margin
• Provide contractual advice during the tendering process
• Identify improvements to commercial procedures
• Manage the monthly commercial audit process
• Manage mediation/adjudication claims
• Ensure the subcontract process is administered correctly to protect the Company
• Attend all project handover meetings
• Ensure effective interaction between the Commercial team and the Operational site teams
• Complete monthly review of contract results and performance
• Manage CVRs on a monthly basis to satisfy the requirements of the Business Unit/Company and provide any other reports which may be required
• Manage and review cost to complete forecasts
Valuation and Cash Collection
• Ensure all valuations are submitted on time
• Maximise monthly valuations
• Ensure timely collection of cash
• Deal with claims preparation, final account negotiation and settlement
• Manage the variation and/or compensation event process including timely submission with cost information
• Business development related functions
• Compliance with Delegated Authorities matrix
• Appreciate and maintain company commitments with regards to PI insurance and other relevant insurance requirements in conjunction with the Main Board Directors and other Directors
• Ensure compliance with corporate governance
LINE MANAGEMENT DUTIES
• Ensure that the company appraisal process is followed, and all appraisals are carried out within the specified timeframe.
• Maintain transparent communication by conducting regular individual meetings with team members to monitor individual performance against set objectives and provide effective performance feedback.
• Coach, mentor, and develop staff, including overseeing new employee onboarding in line with the company onboarding programme and providing career development planning and opportunities.
• Collaborate with Human Resources staff to recruit, interview, select, hire, and employ an appropriate number of employees, when required.
• Provide oversight and direction to team members in accordance with the organisation's policies and procedures.
• Maintain workforce planning schedules, including effective management of absences, sickness, holidays, and training requirements
Hard Skills: These are recognised qualifications or accreditations.
• Having or working towards a professional membership is desirable, but relevant on the job project experience is equally valid and will be considered alongside any qualifications (it is recognised that experience will differ according to the role level, for example from a Trainee/Assistant QS who is willing to study or comes from an industrial placement to the more established and Senior QS roles where significant Commercial and Project Experience is required).
• Relevant Undergraduate or Postgraduate Degrees are desirable but not essential for this role, as equivalent practical experience is equally as welcome. Examples of Recognised Qualifications or Accreditations could include:
• HND/degree in Quantity Surveying, or equivalent practical experience. • Further qualifications could include membership to the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS). MRICS, etc.
• A BTEC in Building Studies, Building Engineering or Building Management or a HNC / HND / Degree in Quantity Surveying (including an industrial placement).
• Relevant CSCS Card (Experienced Technical Supervisor, Supervisory, Professionally Qualified Person or Manager) is welcome, but is not essential.
• Positive Approach to Teamwork. Across all levels of the Commercial Team, we are looking for and expect people in the team to be excellent team players while also holding the ability to work independently.
• Strive to build and establish excellent working relationships with colleagues, consultants, and clients where appropriate, as this approach will enable early identification of potential disputes in a timely manner, and to implement effective resolutions and/or seek appropriate advice.
• Being able to manage disputes, problem solve and resolve conflict. • Demonstrative Leadership skills appropriate to role level, for example a Commercial Manager may mentor and provide Line Management support and be expected to model professional behaviours and provide career support to Senior Quantity Surveyors, Quantity Surveyors, Assistant Quantity Surveyors and Trainee Quantity Surveyors.
• To maintain professionalism including having the ability to remain calm under pressure. • Exceptional communication and presentation skills – both verbal and written, in order to communicate clearly and confidently. • Highly numerate with well-developed excellent data management skills.
• Attention to detail, coupled with strong analytical and reasoning abilities.
• Excellent organisational, planning and prioritising skills.
• Able to drive projects through to a high standard. • Exceptional customer service skills? Knowledge:
• Thorough knowledge of construction processes, procedures, rules & regulations and reporting requirements.
• Knowledge of negotiating contractual claims, variations, and preparing management team financial reports.
• Have an excellent understanding of the processes and procedures used and required by any specific project, or division where required. The project/role requirement may vary per specific project or companywide requirement for example: mechanical, electrical, steelwork, fabrication, concrete cutting, fire protection, rail or other specific specialism/emphasis.
• Computer literate and capable of producing accurate and thorough reports and analysis, proficient in the use of MS Office applications Experience:
• 5 + years previous Commercial Management experience within the construction industry or specialist knowledge regarding specific project of division requirement.
• Experience of working with a cross section of teams both internally and externally.
• Previous Line Management experience, developing, mentoring and being a positive role model is essential.
• Ability to remain calm under pressure.
• Ability to establish and maintain good relationships with clients and colleagues.
• Assertiveness and confidence to stop any operations that appear unsafe or contrary to good construction practice.
• Willingness and a proven ability in developing and mentoring others.
• Embrace and promote the company’s Leadership and Teamwork behaviours:
o Foster open and honest communication: - ask for; listen to; obtain feedback. o Create and track collaborative goals
o Celebrate success and share the team’s successes with the company at large
o Allow team members to problem solve
o Identify requirements and obtain adequate resources and training for the team and yourself, identify room for advancement and support team members towards excellence. o Keep yourself accountable o Show empathy o Build strong one-on-one relationships
o Build and maintain respect
Values The post holder will be expected to operate in line with our workplace values which are:
• Responsibility: Through the behaviours of Safety in Action we keep our people, clients, community, and environment secure and well, ensuring a positive legacy that will support future generations.
• Integrity: We act ethically, honestly, morally, and transparently – ‘we do the right thing’.
• Teamwork: Collaboration and communication are instrumental to our high performance. We work in partnership with our clients, suppliers and stakeholders to achieve exceptional outcomes.
• Excellence: Confidence in our Competence and a ‘Right First Time’ attitude; drive the continuous improvement of our people and processes, ensuring our position as a leading engineering business.
HEALTH & SAFETY
• The post holder must fully familiarise themselves with the Health & Safety Policy and Procedures.
• Assist senior management in monitoring and reviewing the policy and procedures in respect of revisions to safety legislation, changes to industrial practice, changes to the Company’s size and role and any other factors which may affect or influence the policy.
• The post holder must be aware of individual responsibilities under the Health and Safety at Work Act and identify and report, as necessary, any untoward accident or incident.
• Always maintain own personal safety with particular regard to adherence to safe systems of work and proper use of safety equipment and PPE. GENERAL
• The post holder is required to familiarise themself with, and comply with, the Company’s policies and procedures.
• This job description is intended as a guide to the main responsibilities of the post and not as an exhaustive list of duties and tasks.
• The post holder may be required to undertake other duties appropriate to their status, that are not listed above, at the direction of their manager.
The job description may be amended from time to time after consultation with the post holder.