Role: Web Developer (Ruby and Python)
Location: Milton Keynes
Job Type: Permanent
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE: To provide software design and engineering in support of laboratory operations and management.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop workflows and interfaces between our commercial Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) and our internal software platforms. This will include developing automation scripts, data validation rules, systems monitoring and alerting, and complex calculations.
- Specify and deliver software engineering solutions to clinical LIMS issues of a highly technical nature.
- Take strong ownership of software engineering standards, documentation, tools, methods, and environments, proposing and delivering a standardised approach to software engineering across the company, so as to avoid a collection of point-solutions and instead create a unified and integrated software portfolio supporting the whole UK Biocentre business-as-usual operation.
- Produce rapid and telling solutions for the Exec Management Team in response to requests for management information reports and dashboards.
Essential Qualifications and Experience
- Undergraduate degree in IT or computer science
- 3+ years of demonstrated software engineering experience with Ruby and scripting languages such as Python or R and Pearl
- 3+ years of experience programming ERP database systems, preferably but not essentially relating to Biological Sciences
- Sound software configuration management and governance, as well as pure development
Essential Technical Skills
- Ruby programming to expert level
- Restful API / Interface experience
- Web development on a Linux platform, including Linux web server configuration and support
- Relational database design and administration, preferably PostgreSQL
- Git software management tools
- Delivery of simple Data Warehousing solutions
- Highly desirable experience of automation scripting using Python or R and Pearl
- Instrument or robotic integration experience
- Linux systems administration at the command line, including editors and file management
- MS SQL Server relational database (for legacy systems at UK Biocentre)
- Experience of technical business analysis and process design
Ref: 13359/001_1611832840 | Published: 28th Jan 2021