Location: Hemel Hemstead
Salary: £40,000 (plus bonus and benefits)
Our Client is a successful and profitable multi-channel convenience retailer. They understand their Customers (in every department in the business) and look after their Colleagues.
The business "runs lean" with a flat structure and there are no hiding places for people who don't deliver. Candidates who have not worked in a privately owned and run business will be expected to articulate both clearly and convincingly how they will succeed in this focused environment.
To safely and efficiently manage the transport function(s) of the business based in Hemel Hempstead
To ensure the efficient routing of drivers and vehicles to maximise service to stores and productivity, while keeping safety as the number one priority
As a member of the DC Management team, contribute to the overall effectiveness of the Distribution Centre
Main duties and responsibilities
Health & Safety
- Ensure compliance with health and safety legislation and company requirements at all times
- Ensure all drivers hold and retain all required licences, certificates etc at all times
- Ensure any retesting and medicals are completed when they fall due and that issues are immediately addressed and/or escalated
- Ensure all supervisors, drivers and drivers mates complete Health and Safety training when required.
- Ensure all vehicles comply fully with statutory, regulatory and company requirements
- Ensure full and detailed records are kept for colleagues, workers and vehicles which meet both statutory and company requirements
- Exercise a duty of care to colleagues, customers and other road users
- Ensure all accidents are logged with details sent to the insurance company
- Behave courteously and professionally to colleagues customers and members of the public at all times
- Manage transport supervisors, drivers and drivers mates
- Plan and implement routes which are safe and efficient and comply with regulations (specifically Drivers Hours)
- Amend and update routes as required
- Arrange all services.
- Walk the vehicles daily with a driver present making sure no damage has occurred and checking the cab is kept clean and tidy.
- Look over tyres daily in case a driver has missed anything.
- Keep records of all defects and make sure repairs are carried out.
- Maintain a list of local agencies to call in the event of a driver going sick.
- Arrange extra vehicles and drivers as and when needed.
- Communicating with the warehouse manager if extra drivers mates are required if the night runs are heavy.
- Download Digit cards and send them off to be analysed.
- Check Drivers licences, cards and paper copies every six months.
- Update operator's licence when vehicles are increased.
- Plan organise and implement the maintenance schedule.
- Check fuel prices on a regular basis and purchase at best price while ensuring adequate stock levels
- Order supplies including but not limited to Fuel, AD BLU, screen wash, spare bulbs and fuses.
- Arrange fuel deliveries and carry out all necessary checks and inspections to ensure fuel is stored safely and in line with regulations
- Ensure the efficient and accurate completion of paperwork and documentation in line with Company procedures and timescales.
- Ensure the correct and accurate reporting of any incidents/accidents relating to Transport operations are forwarded to the appropriate person/persons
Skills and Experience
- CPC Holder
- Must have effectively managed drivers working shifts in a non-unionised environment
- Experience of H&S legislation preferred, especially understanding risk in the workplace. Able to carry out a risk assessment.
- Able to interrogate costs, analyse and introduce cost saving initiatives
- Must have a sound understanding of all legislation and regulations relating to drivers, vehicles, and manual handling
- Must be able to demonstrate how they have kept up to date with legislation and regulations
- Must have good literacy, numeracy and IT skills and be able to demonstrate effective record keeping
- A Class 1 or Class 2 HGV licence would be an advantage
- Safety first
- Self-confident and mature individual who will be able to establish and sustain strong working relationships the DC Management team, supervisors, and drivers
- The individual must be able to manage (and welcome) robust challenge, debate and feedback
- Highly adaptable and pragmatic.
- Commercially astute. Understands that an effective distribution function must have a very strong customer focus (both internal and external) as well as efficient processes and procedures
- Gets involved and gets things done
- High levels of energy and enthusiasm, but able to remain calm and focussed in a pressurised situation
- No ego. This is a customer and results focussed business where the individual will be one part of a critical team and can expect high levels of both challenge and support on all aspects of their remit. If you want to "tell us what to do because you are the expert" then this is not the role for you!
Ref: 12864 | Published: 18th Nov 2014