Role: Technical Manager and Deputy Quality Lead
Job Type: Fixed Term Contract (up to 18 months)
The clinical laboratory team provides a High Quality Specialist Diagnostic Service to improve the Health Care of the people in the immediate area and beyond.
The post holder will assist with the management of the financial and physical resources of the Covid-19 Testing Laboratory to ensure service delivery in line with National, Organisational and Directorate policies. The post holder will have a high level of specialist knowledge and experience in diagnostic techniques and must have Health Professions Council (HPC) State Registration. It is a primary role of the post to provide specialist advice to clinical users regarding service provision and development.
Key areas of Responsibility
- Demonstrate Leadership at Departmental and Directorate level
- Act in a way that promotes patient care and maintains the integrity of the Department in line with Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS) Code of Conduct.
- Respond positively to the changing demands of the service through innovation, communication, setting standards and achieving results
- Maintain patient confidentiality at all times in line with the Trust Information Management and Technology (IM&T) Information Security Policy.
- Work in compliance with the Laboratory Standard Operating Procedures and Health and Safety Policies.
- Promote and follow good laboratory practice in line with professional guidelines and Clinical Pathology Accreditation (ISO) standards.
- Work within the Terms and Conditions of Employment of your Trust Contract.
- Investigate all reported incidents, accidents and defects according to Trust and Directorate guidelines and implement any agreed corrective actions.
- Maintain appropriate levels of knowledge to remain competent via Continued Professional Development (CPD)
- Work in partnership with the Departmental Manager and Service Manager to provide continuous quality improvement in line with the Directorate service strategy
- Attend Directorate, Trust and external meetings
- Participate in Departmental 24/7 working patterns at the request of Pathology Service Manager.
- Deputise for Departmental Manager
- Analytical requirements
- Motivating staff to meet Departmental and Trust targets
- Maintain good work relations with all members of staff to promote effective teamwork
- Communicate in a professional manner with all contacts inside and outside the department
- View communication as an essential tool to take the service forward
- Responsible for the validation, authorisation and release of abnormal laboratory results for the clinical care of patients in line with departmental policies and procedures.
- Interpret technical validity of laboratory results and take appropriate actions in line with departmental policies and procedures.
- Order and interpret follow-up laboratory procedures as indicated from the primary set of laboratory results on the patient.
- Add technical comments as appropriate to the laboratory report prior to validating the results.
- Add interpretive comments as appropriate to the laboratory report prior to authorising the release of the results.
- Refer clinically significant results for a second opinion from an appropriate Consultant/Clinical Scientist or senior member of staff.
- Inform the requester of any clinically significant result or any technically invalid result that requires further action in line with departmental policies and procedures.
- Implement the Departmental delivery of specialised Patient-Focused Clinics requiring dedicated staffing allocation
- Contribute to the delivery of the Near-Patient Testing analysis service
- Provision of information for Multi-Disciplinary Meetings
- Coordinate the use of other Directorate's equipment and facilities
- Contribute to the development of a fully functional Laboratory Information System to ensure National, Trust and Departmental priorities are achieved
- Enter and retrieve Patient data using the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS).
- Comply with local and national policies for the safe, secure and confidential processing, and storage of patient and other laboratory data.
- Use the Laboratory Information System according to the authorised procedures and policies.
- Extract, manipulate and statistically analyse data to provide information to the Departmental Manager /Service Manager and other authorised users of the service
- Enter test results into the Laboratory Information System in line with departmental policies and procedures.
- Ensure that laboratory records are kept up to date and stored safely to ensure compliance with good work practices required for the standards of Clinical Pathology Accreditation (UK)
- Carry out complex IT processes to facilitate the analytical process
Human Resource/Line Management
- Responsible for the operational management of staffing resources to ensure the optimal performance of the Department. This will include the following:
- Ensure an appropriate number and skill mix of staff within the Departmental teams
- Ensure the assessment of technical competency is carried out within the Department
- Assist in the maintenance of staff personnel records
- Staff annual leave and sickness records
- Member of Recruitment and Selection team
- Induction into Department and Directorate
- Communication through Team Brief, Senior Staff and Staff meetings
- Implement the Department education and development programme
- Motivation, support and provision of Leadership
- Appraisal/PDP requirements
- Facilitate Improving Working Lives issues wherever possible, whilst meeting the demands of the service
- Implementation of Trust personnel policies and procedures
- Visitors and temporary staff within the Department
- Responsible for purchasing equipment and supplies up to defined limits per requisition as outlined in the Trust Standing Financial Instructions
- Assist in the departmental procurement process
- Contribute towards the effective use of the budget as agreed by the Departmental Manager
- Ensure the Department operates within the budgetary constraint assigned and identify areas of financial pressure
- Provision of figures/statistics regarding workload performance as required by Pathology or other authorised parties
- Ensure due payment of staff
- Produce a business case in support of any service development
Education, Development and Training
- Ensure all staff achieve appropriate technical competencies required by Laboratory Competency Assessment Program
- Ensure all staff maintain professional knowledge via Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
- Implement the training, development and competence assessment of all staff to achieve the required knowledge base and manpower plan of the Department
- Implement departmental Training program to accommodate the needs of:
- Trainee BMS staff
- HPC registered BMS staff
- MLA staff
- External students
Health and Safety
- Member of Laboratory Risk Management Committee
- Departmental Health and Safety Officer
- Responsible for the development of Health and Safety Policies and Procedures within the Directorate
- Responsible for the implementation of Health and Safety Polices and Procedures within the Department
- Work in line with Trust and Directorate Health and Safety Policies and Procedures
- Ensure attendance at all mandatory Health and Safety training sessions.
- Ensure that the laboratory environment is maintained in accordance with National and Local standards
- Ensure the adherence to the Directorate Work Attire Policy in line with current Health and Safety Guidance
- Conduct Health & Safety Audits as required and act on findings
- Responsible for analysis of all clinical incidents occurring with the Department to identify patterns and trends
Nature and Conditions of Work
- There is a requirement for sitting/standing at equipment, benches and/or microscopes for prolonged periods of time.
- A high degree of accuracy is required for fine adjustment of sensitive equipment.
- A high level of concentration is required for service analysis and to respond to frequent interruptions e.g. urgent requests for information/results/service issues.
- Daily exposure to body fluids, blood, fresh tissue, infective agents and hazardous chemicals.
Ref: 13357/001_1611830283 | Published: 28th Jan 2021