Role: Supervisor - Environmental Services (ex- Military candidates preferred)
Job Type: Permanent
Start Date: ASAP
One of the leading waste management services companies in the UK, recycling and treating millions of tonnes of household, commercial and industrial waste.
Our client's core business centres on collection, resource recovery and renewable energy providing services for local authorities and commercial customers. To make our skills and expertise easily accessible to our customers, our business is grouped into five core services:
- Municipal services - household waste collection, street cleansing, parks and gardens maintenance.
- Business waste solutions -waste collection and recycling services for small and large companies.
- Recycling - material recycling facilities, household waste recycling centres.
- Green energy -recovery of energy from waste.
- Waste Processing -industrial waste treatment, hazardous wastes and landfill disposal.
They operate over 200 facilities in England, Scotland and Wales and employ around 2,500 employees. We recycle 1.2 million tonnes of waste each year.
All employees to take care for their own health and safety and that of others who may be affected by their acts or omissions. Additionally, employees must also co-operate with the company to enable it to discharge its own responsibilities successfully.
Predominantly mobile role supervising and monitoring the Environmental Services Contract (Street Cleansing, Grounds Maintenance and Soft Facilities Management) ensuring that all staff are fully compliant with current legislation, Health and Safety at Work Act, Environmental Protection Act and The Road Traffic Act.
Act as the service liaison point between the Client and the company.
- Responsible for his/her personal safety and that of all personnel under his or her authority, including others who may be affected by the company's activities. In particular:
- Understand and implement the company SHEQ Policy.
- Appreciate the responsibilities of personnel under their authority and ensure that each employee knows his/her responsibility and are equipped to play their part.
- Conduct Risk Assessments on activities within their department ensuring that the methods and systems of work are safe. Also that the necessary procedures, rules and regulations designed to achieve this are applied.
- Conduct Aspects and Impacts analysis on activities within their sites ensuring that the methods and systems of work are such to minimise the impact to the environment. Also that the necessary procedures, rules and regulations designed to achieve this are applied.
- Provide written instructions of work methods outlining potential hazards and precautions, and ensure they are complied with.
- Ensure accident/incident and near-miss reporting procedures are understood and complied with, and assist with accident investigations where appropriate.
- Ensure all employees and sub-contractors are suitably trained/competent to carry out the prescribed task and that the necessary licenses/certificates of competence are in force and appropriate.
- Set a personal example with regard to health & safety and environment matters
- Supervision of the Environmental Services.
- Carry out Team Briefings (Weekly)
- Carry out Gate Checks/Mobile Plant Spot Checks monthly on all environmental service vehicles.
- Monitor Health and Safety through Behavioural Safety Visits with all crews
- Monitor Sickness and Absence through Back to work Interviews
- Carry out training (TBT's monthly-Safety/Environmental Alerts where required. In the absence of the Senior Supervisor Induction and Equipment).
- Carry out joint visits with client.
- Ensure Training for workforce is delivered.
- Opening and closing the depot where required.
- Plan daily work through CMS (Sickness/Holidays/Training/Vehicle availability).
- Book Hire vehicles.
- Issue and receipt of Driver log books/Near Miss reports/ Uniform/SHE equipment.
- Carry out Emergency drills in line with Contract requirements.
- Collect quotes from third party contractors.
- Carry out depot inspections in line with Contract requirements..
- When required, carry out before and after use checks on vehicles and plant equipment.
- Attend meetings as and when required.
- Monitor Vehicle parking.
- Plan plant/flower beds/ shrub and winter work programme.
- Carry out tree inspections.
- Plan and implement additional cover for special events.
- Carry out HAVS monitoring
- Ladder control procedure is adhered to.
- Plan vehicle and plant wash programme.
- In addition to the above you are to carry out the Supervision and monitoring of the Facilities Management Contract in the Symington Building/Market Hall.
- Experience Supervisor Role.
- Supervisory Core Skills or Industry equivalent.
- Competency in the use of IT (Microsoft Office/CMS/Safeguard).
- Experience in the Transport Industry. (Desirable)
- LGV Class C.
- Plant Operator.
- Experience in Horticultural Industry (Desirable)
- Satisfactory completion of the relevant Competency Management System modules.
- Completion of all other training as defined within the Training Matrix.
Ref: 13270/001_1529492789 | Published: 20th Jun 2018