Role: Senior Informatics Data Analyst
Location: Milton Keynes
Job Type: Permanent
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
To provide software design and engineering in support of laboratory operations and management.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop workflows and interfaces between our commercial Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) and our internal software platforms. This will include developing automation scripts, data validation rules, systems monitoring and alerting, and complex calculations.
- Specify and deliver software engineering solutions to clinical LIMS issues of a highly technical nature.
- Take strong ownership of software engineering standards, documentation, tools, methods, and environments, proposing and delivering a standardised approach to software engineering across the company, so as to avoid a collection of point-solutions and instead create a unified and integrated software portfolio supporting the whole UK Biocentre business-as-usual operation.
- Produce rapid and telling solutions for the Exec Management Team in response to requests for management information reports and dashboards.
- Deliver reporting solutions in the form of web pages, dashboards and formatted reports for external laboratory customers.
- Investigate and resolve data issues relating to occasional but sometimes urgent problems with laboratory test cases. Take full responsibility for the maintenance of the LIMS database.
- Provide technical support of the end-to-end LIMS technology solution, diagnosing and driving out resolutions for issues both on the local site and in the commercial LIMS application.
- Monitor and maintain the high performance and reliability of laboratory IT solutions.
- Act as subject matter expert on LIMS matter during audits, contributing strongly to the maintenance of high-quality procedure documentation, user lists, privileges, and systems security.
- Interacting with our LIMS application vendor, ensure delivery of effective Ruby plug-in enhancements and support, and assist the UK Biocentre management team in managing the vendor relationship
- Interact extensively with clinical LIMS administrators, senior lab operatives, and the lab management team, exploiting software opportunities to improve our end-to-end laboratory workflow and enhance standard operating procedures.
- Collaborate closely with the IT Infrastructure team to deliver solutions on well-architected and secure platforms and network configurations.
Essential Qualifications and Experience
- Undergraduate degree in IT or computer science
- 3+ years of demonstrated software engineering experience with Ruby and scripting languages such as Python or R and Pearl
- 3+ years of experience programming ERP database systems, preferably but not essentially relating to Biological Sciences
- Sound software configuration management and governance, as well as pure development
Essential Technical Skills
- Ruby programming to expert level
- Restful API / Interface experience
- Web development on a Linux platform, including Linux web server configuration and support
- Relational database design and administration, preferably PostgreSQL
- Git software management tools
- Delivery of simple Data Warehousing solutions
- Highly desirable experience of automation scripting using Python or R and Pearl
- Instrument or robotic integration experience
- Linux systems administration at the command line, including editors and file management
- MS SQL Server relational database (for legacy systems at UK Biocentre)
- Experience of technical business analysis and process design
- Ability to take sole ownership of IT solutions, self-policing to ensure delivery to a consistent standard and conformant to a well architected business-wide software enterprise.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including to exec management team level
- Take ownership and pride in projects, setting and achieving high standards for self and working with the IT infrastructure team.
- Maintain a strong focus on IT security, ensuring that all software solutions are delivered and maintained highly secure against external threats.
- Ability to respond appropriately to the needs of demanding users, seeking guidance on priorities where appropriate.
- Ability to analyse complex technical and operational problems and propose solutions.
- Self-motivated with a strong work ethic.
- Strong desire to 'do it right', naturally understanding the importance of holistic design, standardisation and configuration management, without the need for direct oversight.
- Determined to see issues through to resolution.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
Reporting to the COO the role of the Senior Informatics Data Analyst is to primarily lead the design and implementation of Bioinformatics Systems in UKBC. The role holder must be able to manage effective relationships with key stakeholders (i.e. Laboratory / Operations / IT) and provide support to the Head of Laboratories in analysing Bioinformatics Data in UKBC.
In addition to the above the role holder will provide administrative and operational support to end users as well as provide support to the LIMS Developer with regard to identifying data integrity issues, analysing the root cause and implementing a fix to the solution.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To act as the Design Authority for UKBC Bioinformatics Systems
- To ensure that Bioinformatics Systems are implemented and maintained to meet the business requirements.
- Provision of data for and attendance at all internal and external data quality meetings.
- Design and implement informatics components of projects.
- To manage relationships with key stakeholders (i.e. Laboratory / Operations / IT).
All UK Biocentre staff will be aware of and work in accordance to the quality policy, relevant quality objectives and hold accountability to their contribution to the effectiveness of the quality management system; including understanding the benefits of improved performance and the implications of not conforming with the quality management system requirements.
In order to ensure that UK Biocentre remains free from any undue commercial, financial or other pressures that could adversely affect the quality of the work undertaken; the organisation commits to the highest ethical standards. All staff are expected to operate with integrity if ever subjected to external pressures while handling client's diagnostic samples and must at every opportunity, safeguard and protect the confidentiality of all sensitive information.
To uphold the health and safety all individuals working for or visiting UK Biocentre are committed to the Health and Safety Policy and to the implementation and maintenance of the highest standards in accordance with health, safety and welfare across the business. All staff are expected to adhere to the company policies and share this commitment to work together to achieve excellence.
- Strong communication skills both written and oral.
- Experience in using programming languages such as SQL.
- Knowledge of laboratory information management systems platforms.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Good understanding of data architecture and design.
- Highly attentive to detail.
- Educated to degree level or higher in computing, scientific or engineering discipline or equivalent relevant experience.
- Experience working with complex data sets.
- Thorough knowledge of laboratory processes and procedures and automated systems.
- Being visible and available as a leader for all data analysis requirements including laboratory quality assurance schemes
- Ability to interact effectively with internal and external parties in order to progress projects.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with key stakeholders (i.e. Laboratory / Operations / IT).
- Ability to communicate both written and orally, clearly and persuasively, explaining complicated matters simply, tailoring delivery methods/media to suit the audience's needs and understanding.
- Ability to clarify, plan and prioritise own work and that of the others in order to achieve objectives.
- Ability to work proactively in order to ensure objectives are met in a timely manner.
- Must be self-motivated with a strong work ethic.
- Ability to use coaching & mentoring skills and skills of persuasion & negotiation to lead teams.
- Experience in cloud services.
- Line Management experience
Ref: 13358/001_1611832436 | Published: 28th Jan 2021