Job Title: Operations Manager
Location: Bristol & Avon area; Site-Based as required
Post Reports to: Operations Director
The Operations Manager has a wide remit across all aspects of company operations including
- Day to day running of the company
- Budgetary Responsibility
- Management of office based operations, control room and site based staff
- Planning of works in conjunction with the appropriate personnel
- Continual improvement of policies and processes to improve consistency and delivery of the company product
- Improvement of Client Relations and customer service focus
- Monitor Company performance against identified Key Performance Indicators
- Improving both internal and external communication
- Delivery of the company strategic plan
1. Management of Staff
- Establish routine of managing office and site based staff to ensure consistency of performance
- Identify and deal with under performance in a timely manner, in accordance with company procedures.
- Identify and nurture talent and career development opportunities within the business
- Improve staff retention and reduce (or mitigate against the risks and costs of) high staff turnover
- Client Liaison
- In conjunction with the customer service and quality team, ensure client relations are first class.
- Ensure complaints are appropriately recorded and addressed and learning managed and cascaded.
- Ensure product delivery is at a high standard and meets client expectation and need.
- Work with the IT manager to identify appropriate product development to meet client need.
- Company Operations
- Identify and report against appropriate Key Performance Indicators for both Operations department and Control Room
- In conjunction with the operations department, plan work to include the provision of staffing as well as procedures to ensure that work is carried out according to this plan.
- Supervise the recruitment of new personnel as well as the competence management and training of all existing employees.
- Supervision of the company disciplinary and grievance procedures.
- Identify communication channels and process to ensure excellent communication, both internally and externally.
- Take an active role in the company management team.
- Strategic Plan
- Ensure the operational side of the business is delivering against agreed objectives in the strategic business plan
- Take budgetary responsibility for the operational delivery of company projects
- Ensure smooth running of the office and wider business on a daily basis
- Drive business improvement and change to secure the future of the business
- Budgetary Responsibility
- The operations manager will have financial responsibility for a large proportion of the company budget and must balance quality product and delivery against budgetary restraint, in a commercially sensitive environment
Necessary Skills and Experience
The Operations Manager will need to have wide ranging experience and skills, from the below criteria
- Self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision
- Willingness to learn and adapt
- Excellent communication skills across a variety of audience
- Good, proven manager of people and resources
- Sales and commercial experience
- Excellent logistics and problem solving skills
- Confidence in project delivery
- Financial and budgetary experience
Experience within the railway industry is desirable but not essential
Personal Protective Equipment
The Operations Manager will be issued with:
- High visibility vest and trousers (orange)
- Safety Helmet, gloves and glasses
- Head torch
Additional PPE will be required on some client's sites.
The following items of clothing must not be worn to site:
Other Relevant Information
The position of Operations Manager is not considered to be safety critical, however it will be necessary for the Operations Manager to hold Personal Track Safety (PTS) and Lucas qualifications for professional purposes.
Ref: 12834/001_1409913419 | Published: 05th Sep 2014