Location: Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire (National Travel Involved)
Salary: £25,000 - £29,000 per annum
Start date: ASAP
Our Client is a leading provider of solutions and services that solve transport, lighting, infrastructure and telecommunication problems across the Urban and Inter Urban environments. They are part of a global technical services provider, with a turnover in excess of €4bn and circa 23,000 employees.
Our Client is a keen supporter of ex-forces personnel and to be considered for this role you should have served in the British Armed Forces.
We are currently looking for Network Engineer to work as part of the Infra Comms Team on engineering activities such as installation, commissioning and testing of installed infrastructure. This will include passive and active testing of installed equipment.
- Excellent time management and technical governance skills are required to be able to frequently balance the diverse nature of the role to ensure all responsibilities are covered across the Infra Comms project portfolio and to ensure all projects are being delivered in line with Client requirements.
- The role requires a wide range of tasks to be carried out, which will be key to overall project completion as instructed by the Project Manager, e.g. cable preparation, equipment installation, commissioning and testing. Good engineering knowledge of communications technology is required and must be current. Supervision of assigned staff or contractors is carried out as and when required.
- Requirement to be able to work flexibly on a range of projects on a daily basis whilst ensuring that detailed engineering solutions are delivered to a high standard. The role involves switching between tasks a number of times during the day hourly with prescriptive timescales for completion of multiple aspects and also includes interruptions from telephone and electronic queries.
- Support the all members of the Unit on projects ensuring right first time delivery that is fully compliant with Client requirements and specifications.
- Interprets work instructions and diagrams to determine exact physical configurations and layout, Labelling installed cables and equipment clearly and accurately, and creates "as built" documentation, adhering to contractual standards. Identifies design discrepancies and liaises with the client with recommendations for rectification to design matters. Recognises risks and issues as work progresses and advises immediate line manager.
- A very high level of accuracy is required due to the specialist functionality of the role.
- Review and continuously improve project delivery through the application of a rigorous lessons learnt process, and the dissemination of best practice.
- Must complete all levels of technical testing within specifications.
- The role is technical the majority of the time, although this is routine
- The role would normally require switching of tasks on an hourly or daily basis. Normal accuracy is required for the role; however extreme accuracy of physical work and test data recording is required on a continual basis.
- Projects are managed to a strict timeline so more than normal time constraints occur frequently.
- Provide Technical Excellence whilst delivering Technical and Engineering solutions for Infra Comms.
- To become an advocate of ITIL v3, ensuring its practises and procedures are deployed within the business and kept up to date with future ITIL developments.
- To have a thorough understanding of Layer 3, Layer 2, and Layer 1 networking principles, and to have a proven track record in deploying networks across all of these Networking Layers.
- To have a thorough understanding of both 'Managed' and 'Unmanaged' active network equipment, and to have a proven track record in deploying equipment within both a 'Managed' and 'Unmanaged' network scenarios.
- To have a thorough understanding of Network Management and Element Management Systems, specifically 'COTS' type software applications; and to have a proven track record of deploying such NMS/EMS applications 'Out-of-the-Box' on customer networks.
- Deployment of passive telecommunications infrastructures including all aspects of installation, commissioning, testing and handover to customer 'On-Time' and 'In-full' (OTIF).
- Provide 'On-the-Fly' corrective actions surrounding any installation, commissioning, testing, and binary fault finding activities delivered via this role.
- Shall support the Project Manager during any project deployment, pricing for project, or post-project deployment works, at an engineering level to ensure the Unit functions as efficiently and as effectively as possible OTIF.
- Completion of all relevant documentation and sign off.
- Assist in managing third party subcontractors engaged in Infra Comms activities.
- To liaise with the project manager, other Business Units in planning and programming work.
- Responsible for ensuring that established and potentially new customer relationships are maintained and developed by demonstrating the highest level of professionalism at all times.
- Monitor and report to Management team on progress and issues.
- To show a high level of professionalism at all times.
- To build detailed knowledge of all equipment and systems being worked upon within by the Infra Comms Team.
- To work in accordance with Environmental, Security and Health & Safety requirements, including ISO9001, ISO14001, ISO18001 and local working instructions/site inductions.
- To ensure all documentation including time sheets and work sheets are completed correctly and according to deadlines and fully collated for handover to the client.
- To ensure vehicles, tools, spares, clothing and equipment are maintained in a usable and ready condition at all times.
- Act as mentor and day-to-day supervisor of contract technical staff, as directed by Project Manager.
- To be responsible for the preparation / testing and termination of a variety of cables used under each project (i.e. copper/fibre) into a variety of fibre management systems as instructed by the Project Manager.
- To promote the company and its services to our customers.
To be considered for the Network Engineer role you should be ex-military and have the following skills, experience and qualifications:
- HNC or equivalent and relevant industry experience.
- CQUAC testing qualified.
- Site Supervisory safety training scheme (SSSTS).
- First line supervisory management qualification or experience.
- Proven record demonstrating proactive approaches to setting and running 'on-the-ground' engineering initiatives.
- Proven experience of telecommunications cable characteristics, including Fibre Optical Cable variations, Copper Cable Variations, and structured Building Cable (server farm) Infrastructures, together with provisioning, termination, testing, and binary fault finding of cable related issues and faults.
- Proven track record of understanding core Telecommunications technologies at a Systems Engineering and engineering installation level.
- Dealing with local authorities and other government bodies.
- Working on motorways and with HA communications or other communications networks.
- Confident and able to work unsupervised.
- Excellent document drafting skills
- Some supervision of sub-contractors may be required.
- Build confidence and competence through the application of instruction and training.
- Ability to adapt to any existing or future technological / technical initiative.
- Understand knowledge level and when further clarification is required.
- Proficient in MS Office applications.
- Good communication.
- Evidence of Continuous Professional Development.
- Excellent customer focus and ability to work with people at all levels.
- Ability to work under own initiative.
- Good at working to challenging deadlines.
- Problem solving ability, often under pressure.
- Self-motivated, driven.
- Team player.
- Ability to engage lead and motivate others.
- Independent and capable of working flexibly on multiple parallel projects.
- Conceptual thinker, problem solver.
- Starter / finisher.
- Able to work in outside environment.
- Full UK Driving licence.
- Ability to work at heights, and in confined spaces.
- Ability to travel/ stay away overnight when required.
- Willing to work outside contractual hours if required.
Ref: 12985 | Published: 25th Jan 2016