General Manager - Materials Trading - (South) (Ex- Military preferred)
Location: South of England
Our client is one of the leading waste management services companies in the UK. Each year they receive, recycle and dispose of 11 million tonnes of household, commercial and industrial waste. They also generate energy from waste, thereby contributing significantly to the Government's efforts to reduce reliance on fossil fuels.
The Company owns and operates a network of facilities to receive and process household, commercial and industrial waste via a variety of technologies. Principal activities include:
- Landfill operations at strategically located sites.
- Waste reception and recycling facilities, including Civic Amenity sites.
- Electricity generation from landfill gas
- Energy from waste
- Liquid and hazardous waste treatment
Reporting to the Regional Director and a member of the Regional Management Team (RMT) the post holder will be responsible for the development and delivery of the Waste Fuel Supply (RDF/SRF), Commodity Trading and Re-Use Strategy, in line with the UK and Regional Business Plan.
The post holder will play a fundamental role in developing and negotiating new off-taker contracts as well as being responsible for investigating and delivering joint ventures/partnership for materials treatment and new UK/EU based Fuel Supply Agreements.
The post holder will liaise closely with the Head of Regional Development, Area Managers and other support departments such as the Bit Team, Estates and Planning, Technical, Legal and Finance.
- Work with the Regional Director to prepare a 2 year all-materials disposal/treatment strategy.
- Manage the Regional Materials Trading team.
- Support the Area Managers in the daily running of the operations in relation to the management of off-taker relations.
- Prepare and present new supplier/off-taker contract documentation/papers for approval to the Approval Committee.
- Coordinate, negotiate and implement new supplier contracts including but not exclusively RDF / fibre / Metal (various) / plastics / wood, etc.
- Work with the Regional Director, Head of Regional Development and Area Managers to develop the ReUSe strategy.
- Where necessary, coordinate, negotiate and manage the charitable appointment in relation to the retail operation of the ReUse Business.
- Where necessary, work with the local contract management teams in relation to the establishment (lead) and delivery (support) of the retail operation of the ReUse Business.
- Establish a formal industry network of groups and liaisons to ensure that the RMT is best placed at all times to maximize its opportunities to develop new business.
The post holder will:
- Be full time and required to travel extensively throughout the Region, the UK and within Europe.
- Report to the Regional Director and attend monthly regional management team meeting.
- Own and deliver the Waste Fuel Supply, Commodity Trading and ReUse Strategy.
- Liaise closely and collaborate with the other General Manager - Materials Trading.
- Where necessary, take the lead role in UK-wide development projects.
- Manage and monitor the outputs and establish procedures for tracking/measuring workload efficiency in line with the company's CRM system.
Qualifications and Experience
- Proven track record in a management role with a proven track record in a profit centre of at least £5m turnover.
- Career should include at least five years in an organisation with a professional and disciplined approach to business/project development within a Waste Management environment.
- Previous experience and demonstrable track record in the successful delivery of business/project development programmes, to time, budget and specification; preferably in the waste industry.
- Considerable previous experience and demonstrable track record in the successful negotiation of commercially viable and beneficial trading agreements.
- Suitably qualified in and with a proven track record and experience in the application of sound project development and project management techniques.
Ref: 13175_1493033780 | Published: 24th Apr 2017