Facilities Manager (Ex-Military)
£35,000 - £37,000
Our client is one of the most widely recognised organisations in the global contemporary art, design and architecture worlds.
Our client has an exciting opportunity for a professionally qualified and experienced Facilities Manager to work closely with the Head of Projects and Buildings to provide a customer focussed facilities management service to both sites ensuring they are fully functioning prestigious visitor destinations.
The ideal candidate will have a background in facilities, a real desire to succeed and provide a first class service to both staff and our visitors and have previous experience of managing a small team. The successful candidate will also have experience of communicating with various management levels and be able to build great relationships to help you in delivering excellent customer service.
Job Title: Facilities Manager
Reports to: Head of Projects and Buildings
Direct Reports: Facilities Assistants (x3)
Liaises with: All levels of contact, internal and external
Main purpose of the job: Lead on day to day maintenance, cleanliness, Health and Safety, security, telephony, print and general office consumables of the sites, supporting both the staff and public, and line managing the Facilities Assistants.
Buildings and Estate Management
Operating and maintaining both sites as fully functioning and prestigious visitor destinations.
- Effectively manage Facilities Assistants on a day to day basis, monitoring their performance and allocating work as required.
- Contribute to the appraisal process of Facilities Assistants.
- Oversee the general Health & Safety of staff and the general public whilst in the property.
- Maintain high standards of presentation and service in all public areas, including a particular focus in the common areas of presentation.
- Oversee the cleaning and maintenance of the establishments before opening to the public and before evening events.
- Meet with the Head of Projects and Buildings on a weekly basis to ensure smooth running of the site.
Health & Safety
- Ensure general Health & Safety compliance within the Buildings and at external Events, conduct and review risk assessments and monitor other departmental activity.
- Conduct building tours and facilities induction for new hires, including evacuation procedures.
- Effectively evacuate the building in the event of emergency or incident and personally assist with the implementation of these if any physical evacuation is required.
- Carry out risk assessments and desk assessments
Cleaning and Maintenance
- Supervise the work of contract cleaners, refuse collectors, pest control and any other contracts as required.
- Managing building contractors when on site ensuring that they operate safely and in line with organisational Health & Safety procedures.
- Oversee contractors or temporary staff to carry out planned preventative maintenance and reactive maintenance.
- Flag minor repairs and ensure that the work is undertaken when costs have been agreed.
- Liaise with office equipment suppliers as required for orders and maintenance.
- Lead on improving the recycling system.
- Monitor all contractors (with the exception of the contractor responsible for Plant and Machinery).
- Lead on introduction of sustainability policy monitoring and reporting on improvements.
- Ensure the Lock and unlock of the sites as appropriate at the correct times by all teams, setting alarms as required.
- Maintain security alarms, fire alarms, lifts, lighting, shutters and blinds.
- Monitor security and report to the Head of Projects and Buildings to ensure that security is adequate to safeguard items, visitors and staff at all times.
- Liaise with the contract security maintenance provider and be familiar with associated equipment, including access control.
- Provide training to staff required to use the alarm system.
- Keep relevant staff updated of any changes to the alarm system.
- Act as a key holder for emergency call outs.
- Health and Safety induction of all new staff.
Telephones and Computers
- Provide day to day technical/hardware support in relation to the management of the telephone system, IT and mobile phones.
- Provide induction training for new employees.
- Liaise with the IT provider who provides network and systems support to the site staff and provide support as required.
- Annual review telephone and mobile contracts.
- Maintain the photocopier and franking machine.
- Ensure photocopier consumables, such as toners and cartridges, are in stock.
- Regularly review all contracts ensuring best value and service, seeking alternative quotes and negotiating new deals.
- Order stationery, general office supplies, tea and coffee etc. and ensure that all stocks are kept in order.
- Oversee and set the annual budgets for maintenance, IT, telecoms and general administration with the Head of Projects and Buildings.
Establishment Hire / Special Functions
- Work on all Private Views.
- Ensure all public areas are clean and presentable for special and evening functions.
- Consult with the Head of Projects, the Head of Development and the Events team to review arrangements for special events and ensure all Health & Safety and insurance matters are covered.
- Deal with any issues that may arise as a result of visitors not adhering to Health & Safety regulations.
- Plan and oversee office and desk moves.
- Undertake daily spot checks, to maintain general upkeep of all areas, inside and outside the buildings, including the basement / storage/ offices and ensure tidiness throughout - delegating to the Facilities Assistants as and when necessary.
- Health & Safety qualification (NEBOSH & IOSH).
- Four years Office / Facilities Management experience.
- Experience of dealing with IT set ups and reviewing and implementing IT strategy, able to provide basic IT support.
- Experience of dealing with telephone systems, contracts, support for IOS systems.
- Experience of reviewing and negotiating contracts for office supplies, office equipment, IT, telecoms.
- Experience of dealing with Health & Safety issues and drawing up risk assessments
- Excellent IT skills and use of MS office software.
- Experience of managing budgets and ensuring best value.
- Ability to work under pressure and to prioritise a busy workload.
- Experience of managing staff.
- Strong organisational skills.
- A flexible, reliable and conscientious approach to work, with the ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Ability to communicate, work and liaise with a number of departments in the properties.
- Must be prepared to train and obtain First Aid Qualification.
- Interest and commitment to the work for a prestigious establishment.
- Interest in contemporary art, or experience of working within an arts environment.
The normal office hours are 10.00am to 6.00pm Monday to Friday, although the jobholder will be expected, within reason, to work such hours outside these periods as are necessary for the proper fulfilment of the duties described in the Job Description. This job description is a guide to the nature of the work required of the Facilities Manager and does not form part of the contract of employment. It is neither wholly comprehensive nor restrictive and does not preclude change or development which may be required in the future.
The salary, on appointment, is competitive based on skills, experience and qualifications.
The normal hours of work are five days per week, 10am to 6pm with a one hour unpaid break.
Duration of Appointment
This is a permanent appointment.
The annual leave entitlement is 22 days per annum pro rata rising to 27 days after 5 years' service. In addition, staff receive 8 Bank Holidays per annum.
All appointments are subject to a three month probationary period.
Participation in the Sites's pension scheme, where employee contributions are matched up to a maximum 3%.
Other benefits are available upon successful completion of the probationary period.
The closing date for completed applications is Wednesday 26 October 2016.
Ref: 13104 | Published: 24th Oct 2016