Job Description - Electrician
Business Area: OSUK
Department: OS UK&I
Location: MoD - Various
Level: Customer / Operational Frontline
Our client is an NIC EIC registered contractor employed by the MoD to operate and maintain Water and Wastewater assets across England. The Operations team is split into five regions, North to South. Sites are a mix of infra and non infra, with a large variety of electrical and mechanical assets.
Our client is built to anticipate and react to the shifting needs of communities. They are doing it in some exciting ways, like using new digital platforms to communicate with customers, implementing cost-saving initiatives that are keeping bills falling, and beginning a joint venture with that will improve their offering for businesses across England and Scotland.
Water impacts every aspect of our day-to-day lives, defining everything from the clothes we wear to the food we eat, the way we construct our cities to the places we choose to build new homes. That means, as culture, technology and the environment change, our clients' business changes too. They move with the current and, here, so will you.
Shape the future
The future's fluid - and it's there to be shaped. When you join our client, you'll be helping them to respond to new pressures on resources and grow in a sustainable way. That could include investing in renewable technologies or reducing the use of chemicals in their treatment works, finding smarter ways of testing wastewater or delivering the internal support they need to make the business run. Whichever challenge you take on, the implications of your work will be felt by generations to come.
You'll also help them to continue the legacy of over a century of engineering, by maintaining and enhancing a large, complex network with deep, far-reaching roots.
Deliver something special
There's no denying that water is the world's most precious resource. It's our client's job to deliver it. They know that the water cycle ties their business, communities and the global environment together - so they have a responsibility to do things in the right way. That's why they care about the work they do and its effects on others.
Our client is looking for a Qualified Electrician, who will be responsible for carrying out Electrical Installation Condition Reporting (EICR), minor remedial works, and fault finding.
This role has the potential to develop into other aspects of the business over time and with the right candidate.
It will be a home-based role which will involve working and travelling between our clients Water and Wastewater assets on various MoD sites in the South, East and Central parts of the UK, with occasional visits to sites in Northern England. Travelling is involved and there will be occasions when overnight stays will be required to fulfil the role.
The key duties of the role are:
- Testing and inspection of electrical services across our client's diverse estate.
- Identify deviations from the regulations or potential problems and report findings onto relevant reports and certificates using digital reporting tools.
- Responsible for ensuring that any unsafe electrical installations are managed safely and professionally in order to minimize risk to colleagues and site staff, identifying the problem and taking remedial action as required.
- Advise the associated Area Manager and Qualified Supervisor of any existing or new electrical installations that are unsafe or that do not meet current regulatory or industry best practice standards.
- Carry out minor remedial works identified during the inspection and testing, and complete appropriate electrical certificates.
- Able to provide accurate and detailed reports to enable contractors to cost any larger remedial works required.
- Pro-actively identify health and safety issues, and remedy or raise to manager, in line with the companies drive towards 'Goal Zero'.
- Work with scheduling team and line management to maximise productivity and efficiency.
- Provide quality daily job feedback to identify follow on work, along with regular catch-up meetings with line manager.
- Manage personal workloads to ensure maximum flexibility, productivity and effective time management.
- Maintain site standards to food grade level, particularly on water assets.
- Maintain level of professional expertise to ensure knowledge and expertise is up to date with current regulations and requirements - all required training is provided.
- Operate and maintain the highest Health and Safety standards in accordance with all company policy and procedures.
- Identify and manage a level of stock on company vehicle to allow for minor remedials to be completed during the first visit, where possible.
- Exercise judgments on remedial spend to ensure the appropriate and safe repair is balanced with the requirement to maximize cost effectiveness.
- Provide high level of customer service to maintain customer expectations of quality service provision.
- Identify and promote any energy saving ideas and suggestions in line with our clients drive to increase sustainability.
In order to succeed in this role it is expected that you will have:
- Recent experience of working in a similar role.
- Good knowledge of BS7671 regulations and testing procedures.
- Experience of carrying out electrical inspection and testing and completion of NIC EIC electrical certificates and reports to a high standard.
- Demonstrable experience of carrying out electrical installation work and maintenance in a commercial and industrial setting.
- Experience of working on water and wastewater sites, or similar environments would be beneficial.
- Demonstrable knowledge of 18th Edition Wiring Regulations.
In order to succeed in this role it is expected that you will have:
- Good problem solving and practical thinking skills are required to ensure the safe and effective operation and maintenance of all assets and to prevent avoidable asset failure where possible.
- Able to demonstrate a "can do" attitude and be comfortable working both within a team and working alone.
- Able to apply experience and logic to a situation.
- Achievement focused and with a clear sense of ownership, will work with commitment and determination to drive to deliver.
- Excellent process diagnostic and communication skills.
- Confident and willing to speak up constructively when something is wrong.
- Willing to make a productive contribution.
- A good team player who will commit to the team's agenda, willingly helping others in the team when asked and solving problems.
- Able to demonstrate confidence in own judgment.
- Must be physically fit with ability to work in confined spaces, underground or at heights.
- Able to communicate effectively at all levels in the organization, and with external customers.
- Must be able to explain complex or technical problems to colleagues in a manner that enables others to understand and be able to react to, effectively.
- You'll have a keen eye for detail and be confident in the use of tech and IT.
- Completed a recognized electrical apprenticeship
- Fully qualified NVQ 3 or City and Guilds 236(Parts 1 & 2) qualifications
- C&G 2382 (18th Edition regulations)
- C&G 2391 Electrical Inspection and Testing
- Full UK driving license
Ref: STETNEM_1654701018 | Published: 08th Jun 2022