Accounts & Payroll Manager
Location: Wantage, Oxfordshire
Salary: £ Competitive
Start date: ASAP
Our client is a privately owned, family managed company. The directors of the company take a very personal interest in every contract, both by direct communication with the client and through the reporting procedures incorporated as part of company policy.
Our client covers all aspects of Facilities Management, from Cleaning to Property Services, Waste Management to Landscape and Maintenance and more.
Our client believes in growing and developing from within. A full training and induction programme is carried out for all staff to encourage correct working practices, use of equipment, chemicals and materials that they are expected to use as part of their duties.
Our Client is a keen supporter of ex-forces personnel and to be considered for this role it would be an advantage if you served in the British Armed Forces.
As an Accounts & Payroll Manager, the following are essential aims of the position:
- Responsible for maintaining accounting principles, practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements.
- Supervision of accounts and payroll teams with responsibility for managing staff, ensuring that work is properly allocated and completed to deadlines.
- This position addresses a multitude of accounting activities including general ledger preparation, financial reporting, VAT, year-end, audit assistance and the support of budget and forecast activities, as well as payroll tasks including maintaining three pay frequencies, submission of RTI returns, preparing and paying HMRC, CSA and other employee deductions, assistance with management of the pension scheme, overseeing payment runs, auditing, TUPE and provision of data to other departments.
- Maintenance of accurate records using SAGE Payroll & Sage Line 50.
- Provision of support to the Financial Controller.
- Regular reporting to the Financial Controller, Directors and Managing Directors.
The role of a Accounts & Payroll Manager is important as you are crucial in ensuring the department achieves exceptional standards for the client.
Responsibilities will include:
- Meeting department SLA's.
- Reducing debtors & improving cash-flow.
- Budget analysis to ensure labour costs remain within agreed levels.
- Reducing payroll errors and streamlining procedures.
- Effective communication.
Duties will include:
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure.
- Ensure an accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year end close.
- Ensure the timely reporting of all monthly financial information.
- Assist with daily banking requirements.
- Ensure the accurate and timely processing of all pay transactions.
- Ensure the monthly and quarterly bank compliance activities are performed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Support budget and forecasting activities.
- Collaborate with other finance department staff to support overall department goals and objectives.
- Monitor and analyse department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Assist in development and implementation of new procedures, software and features to enhance the workflow of the department.
- Advise staff regarding the handling of non-routine reporting transactions.
- Respond to enquiries from the Financial Controller, Directors, Joint Managing Directors, other departments and external agencies regarding financial results, special reporting requests etc., subject to confidentiality requirements.
- Work with the Financial Controller to ensure a clean and timely year-end audit.
- Supervise the general ledger staff to ensure all financial reporting deadlines are met.
- Provide training to new and existing staff as needed.
- Manage personnel issues relating to staff conflicts, attendance, time-keeping, performance issues etc. in liaison with the Human Resources Manager.
- Work with each direct report to establish goals and objectives for each year and monitor and advise on the progress to enhance the professional development of staff.
- Oversee collation of timesheets for all pay frequencies including fortnightly, 4-weekly and monthly staff.
- Overall responsibility for processing of payroll on a Wednesday including ensuring all data is entered accurately onto SAGE Payroll software.
- Staying until the payroll run is complete and payments have been transmitted via the bank on a Wednesday. Some flexibility may occasionally be required and your commitment to complete the task is essential.
- Responsibility for provision of sufficient payroll staff during processing weeks to complete payroll tasks including transmission of payments.
- Ensuring processing of SSP, SMP, SPP, ShPP, attachment of earnings and other payroll elements.
- Ensuring emailing and printing of payslips on a Thursday and sending them out via email or post.
- Analysing payroll budgets for each site to ensure that labour costs do not exceed the allowed budget including when cover has been provided.
- Ensuring new starter packs are compiled and readily available for collection by other departments as needed. Responsibility for ensuring that the information they contain is up to date and legally compliant.
- Ensuring payroll staff is sufficiently trained to check new starter documentation to establish proof of photo identity, proof of address, right to remain and work in the UK in accordance with current legislation and UK Border Agency guidelines.
- Maintenance a log of all Visa issue and expiry dates and chasing department managers for updated documentation well in advance.
- Responsibility for starter pack audit process throughout the year.
- Overseeing entering new starter information on SAGE payroll including online submission of P45 information received.
- Overseeing processing leavers on SAGE Payroll including sending out final payslips and P45 documentation.
- Associated Inland Revenue returns including RTI submission and reconciliation.
- Liaison with HM Revenue & Customs and other external agencies to provide employee payroll information as requested and where authorised to do so.
- Provision of payroll information to other company department managers, again where authorised to do so.
- Assisting with accounts function and payroll processing when other staff is off sick or on annual leave - flexibility to assume different responsibilities as needed.
- Ensuring preparation and despatch of monthly envelopes to client sites including timesheets and stores order sheets.
- Assisting with monthly analysis of any additional work services extracted from time-sheets requiring invoicing.
- Maintenance (including collation of statistics), checking and updating of all records as necessary to ensure the provision of accurate information needed to achieve an exceptionally high quality of service.
- Working closely with the HR Manager in all aspects of personnel management including maintaining personnel files for all fortnightly, 4-weekly and monthly paid staff.
- Assistance with collation and provision of employee liability information to facilitate the TUPE transfer process, in liaison with the HR Manager.
- Assisting with processing the company's auto-enrolment company pension scheme including maintaining accurate records and making deductions / payments as necessary.
- Member of the company's Pension Team.
- Assisting with payroll end of year analysis and completion of process.
- Following health and safety procedures and legislation. Any problems or areas of concern must be notified to the Risk Management Focal Point.
- Maintaining a friendly, courteous, professional and helpful attitude to staff and outside agencies, ensuring the company is always presented in a positive manner.
- Appropriate use of computer system in accordance with the company's procedures, including email. Saving all non-Sage documents on specified secure shared drive to ensure they are backed up.
- Keeping the work area clean and tidy, including checking for litter, lost property and cleanliness.
- Taking part in training and meetings as required.
- Informing the HR Manager of any personal or health issues that are causing concern and any change of personal information such as home address, telephone number etc.
To be considered for the Accounts & Payroll Manager role you should be ex-military and have the following skills, experience and qualifications:
- AAT Technician / ACCA Part-Qualified
- Strong understanding and experience of using SAGE Line 50 and SAGE Payroll software
- Previous knowledge or experience of biometric reader attendance systems
- Good understanding of budgets
- Demonstrate values in regard to customer service, courtesy to all clients, suppliers, work colleagues and other agency professionals
- IPP (Institute of Payroll Professionals) - NCP (National Payroll Certificate)
- Proven Success within a Payroll Position
- Organised and methodical - ability to prioritise to meet deadlines
- Ability to multi-task
- Understanding of RTI (Real Time Information)
- Confident and able to work unsupervised.
- Excellent standard of numeracy and literacy
- Must be PC proficient and able to thrive in a fast-pace setting
- Build confidence and competence through the application of instruction and training.
- Proficient in MS Office applications.
- Evidence of Continuous Professional Development.
- A team player who is self-motivated and driven.
- Flexible approach to work.
- Attention to detail
- Starter / finisher.
- Quick Learner
- Full and Clean UK Driving licence.
- Ability to travel when required.
- Willing to work outside contractual hours if required.
A DBS Enhanced Disclosure will be required which the applicant will be required to pay for. The company will assist with the online application process.
References will also be taken up and the company reserves the right to carry out a credit check on the successful candidate.
Ref: 13067 | Published: 14th Jun 2016